NLSA’s Veterans Justice Project emerged from our participation in Operation StrongVet. The Veterans Justice Project provides streamlined intake, ease of access, and free civil legal services for income-eligible Veterans, Service Members, and Service Members’ families. The goals of NLSA’s Veterans Justice Project are to:
- Keep Veterans in their Homes
- Keep Military Families Together
- Protect and Secure Income for Veterans, and
- Resolve Debt Issues
In addition, NLSA coordinates referrals to various pro bono projects which serve Veterans that fall outside regular program services.
Keeping Veterans in their Homes:
NLSA defends Veterans in eviction proceedings, as well as in mortgage foreclosure proceedings. We help them pursue rent overcharge claims and actions to improve housing conditions. All of these services help prevent Veterans from becoming homeless. We work closely with area Veteran-focused organizations such as the Veterans Leadership Program to further ensure that veterans are not left homeless.
Keeping Military Families Together:
Our family law practice preserves military families wherever possible, while helping Veterans and their children maintain safety. We advise or represent Veterans facing domestic violence and child custody disputes. Veterans who are facing termination of their parental rights are eligible to receive court appointed counsel.
Protecting and Securing Income for Veterans:
NLSA helps Veterans, Service Members, and their families access and retain government benefits so as to ensure that they can keep food on the table and a roof over their heads. NLSA lawyers:
- Assist Veterans when government benefits are wrongfully denied, inaccurately calculated, or improperly terminated
- Advise or represent Veterans for whom Unemployment Benefits, Wage Claims, Veterans’ Benefits, Food Stamps, Medicaid/Medicare and public assistance programs are a critical lifeline;
- Help Veterans obtain or maintain Social Security Disability benefits
- Remove legal barriers to employment by obtaining an expungement or driver’s license reinstatement.
Helping to Resolve Debt Problems:
We help Veterans, Service Members, and their families with debt problems by:
- Advising them about federal bankruptcy protection
- Stopping unlawful debt collection practices
- Preventing or overcoming utility shutoffs.
Note: NLSA does not provide legal aid to defendants in Protection from Abuse matters or to Veterans in criminal matters.
We are pleased to be a founding member of PAServes, Greater Pittsburgh’s first coordinated network of public, private, and non-profit organizations working together to serve Veterans and their families. PAServes–Greater Pittsburgh brings together service providers across Allegheny, Westmoreland, and Butler Counties. It offers transitioning Service Members, Veterans and their families access to legal, housing, and emergency service providers, to employment, recreation and fitness, financial assistance and more – all designed to provide those who serve, have served, and their families, with the most comprehensive service delivery experience available anywhere in the nation.